Crémant d’Alsace Brut Reserve – Non Vintage
Alsace has been celebrated for its lovely, dry white wines for centuries, but it has gained a reputation for enticing traditional method sparkling wines in recent years. In the heart of Alsace’s finest district, the Haut-Rhin, Maison Pierre Sparr follows a 300-year-old tradition of winemaking that began during the reign of King Louis XIV. The devotion to the land, the attention to the smallest detail and the uncompromising quest for excellence is in every bottle bearing the Sparr family crest.
- Appellation: Appellation Crémant d’Alsace Controlée (awarded the region in 1976)
- Location: Vosges hillsides and Rhine valley, from Guebwiller to Marlenheim
- Viticulture: No irrigation; trellis system; hand-harvested
- Size: 27 hectares (66.7 acres)
- Vine Age: 26 years
- Soil: Granite, limestone, gneiss, chalky-clay
- Elevation: 200-400 meters (656-1,312 feet)
- Exposure: Primarily eastern and southern
- Density: 4,000 vines per hectare (1,620 vines per acre)
Dates for the beginning of harvest for each AOC are set by decree, generally 100 days after the median date of flowering, at the time when the grapes display the best sugar-to-acid ratio. Intended vineyards for sparkling wine must be declared in advance of harvest and must be picked by hand. Grapes destined for Crémant are generally picked a few days before those for still wines in Alsace.
- Harvest Date(s): mid-September
- Yields: 80 hl/ha (5.9 tons/acre)
Whole-cluster pressing; first fermentation occurs in temperature-controlled, stainless-steel vats, transforming the must into still wine. Six months later, the wines are blended to achieve the distinctive flavor profile of the brut réserve. Blended wine is then bottled with a specific yeast added to relaunch the second fermentation in bottle. The wine rests on lees a minimum of 12 to 16 months prior to disgorgement. Finally, the dosage is added to provide the particular brut style of this sparkling wine.
- Filtration: Microfiltration
- Bottle Aging: 12-16 months on the lees
- Varietal Composition: 80% Pinot Blanc, 20% Pinot Auxerrois
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- TA: 6.0 g/L
- RS: 11.0 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: Ready upon release
Light yellow with green reflections and fine, glittering pearl beads; the nose offers aromas of galia melon, sweet woodruff and dried mango, with minerals and hints of nuts. The soft mousseux leaves a pleasant feeling on the palate, accompanied by a racy, powerful body and crisp, lemony acidity that brings freshness to this Crémant. With time in the glass, it opens further to a complex sparkling brut, finishing with a long aftertaste.