Anas-Cëtta Nascetta di Novello Langhe DOC – 2016
Anas-Cëtta is an invented name that was used initially because the wine was not a DOC. (In Italy it is not possible to use the varietal name if the wine is not DOC.) That changed in 2010, when Nascetta of Novello gained DOC status. Since the first limited production in 1994, the Elvio Cogno winery has drawn upon the knowledge of the old-timers in Novello to make a wine for the youth of today.
- Vineyards: 100% Nascetta di Novello
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Composition: Limestone/clay, with a small percentage of sand
- Vine Age: 1 hectare (2.47 acres) newly planted, the rest are between 10 and 20 years old
- Elevation: 350 meters (1,148 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Eastern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
Due to an early season with mild temperatures in January and February, 2016 was one of the longest seasons ever recorded. The following months cooled to slow down the cycle. Heavy rains in April did not create any problems due to average daily temperatures and low overnight minimums. This slightly physiological delay created ideal conditions to produce an almost perfect vintage for Nascetta, fresh and bright acidity accompanied by intense and complex flavors.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel with 12 hours cold soak (skin contact), indigenous yeast
- Aging: On lees for 6 months, no barrel aging; bottle-aged for two months
“One of the best Nascetta that I’ve ever made” says Valter Fissore, proprietor of Elvio Cogno. The golden color is brilliant and intense. On the nose, it shows a wide range of flavors from white fruits–William’s pear and watermelon–to fresh herbs–rosemary and sage–and hints of orange peel. On the palate, this wine is concentrated and balanced with a very bright acidity. It has a very pleasant, savory long aftertaste as well as a great aging potential.
- Production (in cases): 2,300 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 650
- Alcohol: 13%
Elvio Cogno Langhe Anas-Cetta – 2016 – James Suckling – 92 Points
A white with a pretty cooked-apple and vanilla character to it. Medium to full body, a lightly oily palate and a flavorful finish. Made from nascetta. Drink now.
Anas-Cëtta Nascetta di Novello Langhe DOC – 2016 – 91 points – The Wine Advocate
"...fresh and citrus-driven wine with crisp acidity and tonic layers of white peach, garden herb and blanched almond. The wine boasts a very strong mineral vein that comes forward with almost-salty intensity..."