Ygnacia Pinot Noir, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, Napa Valley – 2016
Planted exclusively for Hyde de Villaine on a optimal location on Hyde Vineyard, our Ygnacia Pinot Noir is a blend of 7 heritage clones collected by Larry Hyde over the last 40 years. This wine represents a lifetime of work by Mr. Hyde in his pursuit of the finest Pinot Noir clones in the New World.
- Vineyards: Hyde Vineyard, at the eastern edge of Los Carneros District
- Vineyard Owner: Mr. and Mrs. Aubert de Villaine Mr. and Mrs. Laurence W. Hyde Mr. and Mrs. Richard E. Hyde III
- Appellation: Los Carneros, Napa Valley
- Size: 1.9 acres
- Vine Age: 6 years
- Soil: Haire clay loam over clay hardpan
2016 started with a cold and wet winter, which gave the vines a well-deserved dormancy, especially after the fast-paced growing season of 2015. Bud break occurred in mid-March and was followed by a dry and warm spring. This resulted in a healthy and vigorous canopy and ideal pollination, leading to a bountiful crop. Heavy fog in early August slowed the maturation process and allowed for optimal phenolic development while retaining the freshness and natural acidity Hyde Vineyard
is known for.
- Harvest Date(s): August 15
- Barrel Aging: 16 months; 15% new (Francois Freres, Cavin)
- Bottled: March 22, 2017; unfined and unfiltered
The nose is intense but delicate, with complex, perfumy aromas of violet and rose petals, small berry fruits, earthy undertones and a touch of spice. On the palate, the wine shows bright acidity and mineral components throughout, intermixed with delicate floral and fresh blue fruit notes. The tannins are layered, soft and precise. The finish builds energy and focus, and its length promises a cellar-worthy wine. — Guillaume Boudet, Winemaker
- Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Noir
- Production (in cases): 444 cases (12/750ml)
- Alcohol: 13.3%
Ygnacia Pinot Noir, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, Napa Valley – 2016 – 95 points – James Suckling
A very fresh and vivid pinot with so much raspberry and blue fruit character. Stone and cement undertones. Blood oranges and sea shell, too. Full body, firm and silky tannins and a long, flavorful finish. A structured and flavorful red. Needs two or three years to come together.