Yantra, Toscana IGT – 2011
Yantra (yawn-tra) is Sanskrit for “instrument” or “machine.” A Yantra is a mandala — a map, chart or geometric pattern which represents the cosmos metaphysically or symbolically — a microcosm of the universe from a human perspective.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
A rainy winter was followed by a hot, dry summer, yielding nicely ripened grapes with good concentration.
- Harvest Date(s): September 20-October 5
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 2-3 days
- Aging: 7 months in stainless-steel tanks
- Varietal Composition: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14%
The 2011 Yantra is characterized by a persistent fruitiness and pleasant freshness; it is interesting for its complex simplicity. The wine displays soft, ripe tannins, a rich mouthfeel and a long finish.
Yantra, Toscana IGT – 2011 – 90 points – Wine Enthusiast
"The savory palate offers ripe plum, crushed black cherry, black pepper and mint alongside polished tannins. A licorice note marks the close."
Yantra, Toscana IGT – 2011 – Tasting: Tenuta Sette Cieli – Knives & Corks
“Organic…fruity up front with lots of raspberry, but then a subtle spiciness immediately followed. It was full of soft and ripe tannins with a lasting finish. This is definitely a bottle I will keep around.”
Yantra, Toscana IGT – 2011 –