Viognier, IGP Vaucluse – 2016
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices
- Composition: 100% Viognier
- Vine Age: 14 years
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: 550 meters (1,804 feet)
- Exposure: North-facing slope
It was a wet start to the year, delaying bud break by about 10 days (and flowering by about the
same); then a very arid summer allowed the grapes to catch up with their usual cycle and veraison happened on schedule. The weather was cool and sunny for the first two weeks of harvest, during which the Viognier was picked.
- Harvest Date(s): Started 28th September, a week later than usual
- Yields: 35 hl/ha
- Fermentation: Cold fermentation (16 C/61 F) in Demi-muids (600-liter or 159-gallon barrels); short, cold maceration on skins for just 1 1/2 hours, then direct to press
- Aging: 5 years
- Barrel Aging: 9 months in large oak barrels; one-third new French oak, one-third 1-year-old, one-third 2-years-old, from various French coopers, 600-liter barrels with light toast
- Bottle Aging: 7 months in demi-muids
Appearance: Golden, bright and clear, with glimmers of green.
Nose: Robust with notes of pear in syrup. Hints of fresh apricot, sweet almond and brioche.
Palate: Suave and fresh. Notes of peach and verbena.
Finish: Long and crisp
- Serving Suggestions: Perfect for aperitifs. Pairs excellently with poultry, fried foie gras, white fish with creme, or bleu cheese. Serve slightly chilled at 14˚ C/57˚ F.
- Alcohol: 13%