Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2012
Elena is the daughter of co-owners, Valter Fissore and Nadia Cogno. The vineyard for this wine was planted when Elena was born, and is dedicated to her, as is the wine. The label is a drawing of a chick that Elena made for her mother and father when she was just three years old. (She is now the professional designer of all the winery’s labels.) This label has been the symbol of the wine ever since its creation many years ago. This Barolo Riserva is produced only in great vintages.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Rosé sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyard halfway up the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: 25 years old
- Soil: Limestone and clay, with the presence of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
The winter was very cold and snowy especially in January and February. The spring started out cool and wet in March and April, the temperature raised in May and, along with the generous water supply, created the perfect conditions for a fast and even growth. The flowering in June was accompanied by some heavy rain that reduced a bit the crop. The rest of the summer was quite normal, good sunny weather but never extremely hot. September was quite dry and very sunny that allowed a very healthy and normal harvest.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, postfermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 36 months barrel-aging in large (40 hl/1,057 gallons), used Slavonian oak, followed by 24 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Rosé sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Production (in cases): 580 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 150
- Alcohol: 15%
Dark ruby red in color with some orange reflections. The bouquet is very aromatic with flavors from dry plums to dried rose and violet petals with hints of balsamic and alpine herbs; a very “aristocratic” nose. The mouthfeel is warm and rich with soft, deep, refined tannins that are perfectly melted. The wine has a bright acidity that gives a very long and pleasant aftertaste.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera Vigna Elena Riserva – 2012 – Wine Spectator – 95 Points
A powerful, muscular style, exhibiting concentrated cherry, plum and berry flavors, accented by herbs and tobacco, all framed by vivid acidity and beefy tannins. A bit brooding now, this should develop nicely over the next decade. Best from 2021 thro