Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2009
Elena is the daughter of co-owners, Valter Fissore and Nadia Cogno. The vineyard for this wine was planted when Elena was born, and is dedicated to her, as is the wine. The label is a drawing of a chick that Elena made for her mother and father when she was just three years old. (She is now the professional designer of all the winery’s labels.) This label has been the symbol of the wine ever since its creation many years ago. This Barolo Riserva is produced only in great vintages.
100% estate vineyards
- Location: Halfway up the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1 hectare (2.47 acres)
- Vine Age: 23 years
- Soil: Limestone and clay, with the presence of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet)
- Exposure: Southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
A snowy winter but not too cold, followed by a warm, rainy through the beginning of May. Summer was hot, occasionally with above-average temperatures. Autumn was dry and slightly warmer than normal, leading to a slightly earlier-than-normal harvest.
- Harvest Date(s): October 13-14
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Barrel Aging: 36 months in large (40 hl/1,057 gallons), used Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 24 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo (Rosé, a sub-variety of Nebbiolo)
- Production (in cases): 500 cases (6/750ml); 150 cases (1/1.5L)
- Cases Imported: 150 (6/750ml); 24 (1/1.5L)
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Brilliant garnet-red color, with aromas of rose, fine tobacco and mint, plus a slight whiff of licorice. On the palate, it is full-flavored, full-bodied and warm, with suggestions of fresh spices and red fruit. Thanks to 36 months of aging in large barrels, the tannins are particularly expressive. The fruit makes a strong comeback in the finish.
Serving Temperature:18 C (64 F)
Aging Potential: 30-plus years
Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2009 – 92 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Aromas of dried rose, mature berry and dark kitchen spice lead the nose on this full-bodied wine. The palate offers more spice … dried wild cherry, licorice and black pepper, while firm refined tannins provide the framework."
Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2009 – 95 points – The Tasting Panel
"A supple and classic Barolo from a tradition-minded family producer; fresh, layered and precise with loads of finesse and style."
Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2009 – 95 points, Year’s Best Barolo & Barbaresco – Wine & Spirits
"Dark and seductive, it shows the warmth of the vintage with lush flavors of black plum and kirsch layered with thyme, sage, licorice and tobacco. The flavors roll across the palate like a river, unveiling more nuances at each bend…”
Vigna Elena Barolo Riserva DOCG – 2009 – 92 points – Wine Spectator
"Warm tones of brick, leather, licorice and steeped cherry ride the tensile yet dense structure in this mellowing red. Savory, with a mineral, saline finish."