Pouilly-Fuissé Vers Cras – 2017
Exclusively coming from the terroir ‘Vers Cras’:1.619 hectares (0.4 acres), clay and limestone soils. The ‘vielles vignes’ of Chardonnay, located at the southern end of Burgundy, are planted between 250 and 500 meters in altitude, higher than the others AOC from Bourgogne. Thus, they provide both maturity and freshness to the wines.
- Size: 1.619 hectares / .4 acres
- Vine Age: 50-year old vines
- Density: 10,000 vines/hectare
2017 is a good vintage. The wines are powerful, rich and balanced.
- Yields: 20 hectoliters per hectare (1.48 tons per acre)
- Average Yields: Harvest by hand and led to the cuvage in small 30 liters cases
The berries are driven to the pressoir by gravity, and immediately pressed with the whole bunch in order to filtrate the best and most natural way possible. Once the pressurage is done, the juices are cooled down to 46.4° F (8°C) for 2 days on average in order to make the particles fall in the tank. The cold débourbage enables to preserve the best quality and primary aromas. Malolatic fermenta-tions are happening naturally. Bâtonnages are scarce, while barrels and tanks are used depending on the profile of the vintage.
- Aging: 16 months on “lie fine”, 100% oak barrels.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 1,500 bottles
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- Optimum Drinking: 2019-2029