Vermentino, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2018
- The Label: The label represents the receding waters of an ancient coastal lake named Prelius that was drained in the 1930s for agricultural purposes. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop alongside what were once the shores of this lake. Thus, the wines of Prelius now replace the waters of Prelius.
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Vermentino
- Size: 2.1 hectares (5 acres) planted to Vermentino
- Vine Age: Planted in 2005
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 10,872 vines/hectare (4,400 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
April was unusually warm, and this brought an early bud break, while May was rainy with low temperatures. Starting from June, we had a mild and good weather, with scattered weak rains. Veraison was anticipated, while the harvest took place like previous years.
- Harvest Date(s): August 29, 2018; manual harvest
In stainless-steel tanks; 6 months on the lees; aged 3 months in bottle
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.8g/L
- RS: 0.6 g/l
Floral aromas merge with hints of racy citrus, pineapple and mineral characters that couple with a softening marine influence. On the palate, this is a refreshing elegant wine, retaining its balanced acidity. The mouthfeel bursts with fresh fruit that lingers on the finish.