Valpolicella Superiore DOC – 2006
The Dal Forno family has been making wine since 1983. Located in Val D’Illasi, the estate consists of 65 acres of vines planted to traditional indigenous varieties of Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella, Oseleta and Croatina. The estate vineyards and farm are located where the slopes begin to rise toward the mountains and sit 1,000 feet above sea level. The loose, alluvial soils, meticulous pruning and scrupulous viticultural techniques ensure remarkable-quality grapes. The Dal Fornos use traditional methods to grow the finest fruit, and then employ modern techniques to produce the best wines — classic in expression and modern in purity.
- Appellation: Valpolicella Superiore DOC
- Cultivation: Sustainable
- Size: 26 hectares (64.22 acres)
- Vine Age: Less than 10 years
- Clones: 41 b
- Soil: Originate from alluvial plains, composed of 70% gravel, 15% silt, and 15% clay
- Elevation: 350 meters (1,148 feet)
- Exposure: South, southwest
- Density: 12,800 vines/hectare (5,182 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
- Harvest Date(s): September 20 - October 30
From September 15 to October 30, the fi nest bunches of grapes are selected, after which a meticulous manual control is carried out to eliminate all grapes that do not meet the standards required. The selected grapes are then placed in a plastic plateaux and are then left to rest for 45 days in large open rooms, where an innovative ventilation system helps maintain an elevated and thorough air fl ow.
- Fermentation: Fermentation takes place in steel tanks at a controlled temperature of around 28°, which are equipped with a sophisticated computerised system which allows for automated punching for a period of around 15 days, including the final maceration which takes two days.
- Aging: After the racking process, the Valpolicella rests for a few days in stainless steel tanks which, thanks to their particular shape, allows for easy decantation and, subsequently, is placed in new barrels to mature for 36 months, followed by 24 months in bottle.
- Varietal Composition: 70% Corvina and Corvina Grossa, 20% Rondinella, 5% Croatina, 5% Oseleta
- Alcohol: 14.50%
- TA: 6.65 g/L
- p H: 3.75
- RS: 3.7 g/L