Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC l’Imperfetto – 2016
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level
- Exposure: Eastern
- Density: 3,000 vines/hectare (1,214 vines/acre)
- Training: ‘Double Pergola’, with 3000 vines per hectare, 18 buds per vine, green cover crop between rows
- Harvest Date(s): End of September. Part is pressed immediately. Small percentage undergoes slow grape withering in the drying room until November.
- Yields: 50 hl/ha
Crushing and pressing of de-stemmed grapes. Fermentation at a controlled temperature of 28 C (82 F). The must obtained in September from freshly-vinified grapes, macerates in contact with the skins for 10 days; the must obtained in November from dry ones, remains in contact with the skins for 20 days. The two wines are then assembled together. Malolactic fermentation.
- Varietal Composition: 50% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 25% Rondinella, 5% Croatina
- Alcohol: 14.0%
- TA: 5.2g/L
- p H: 3.4
- RS: 2.0g/L
Particular note of ripe fruit in a dry and intense wine, which cuddles and fills the mouth. Deep ruby red in color. Distinct and elegant aroma of ripe red fruit and black cherry, with scents of spices and vanilla. Round in the mouth, velvety and harmonic.
- Serving Suggestions: It pairs well with tasty pasta and rice dishes, prepared with fragrant trifle and porcini mushrooms. Excellent with red char-grilled and roasted beef, with lamb and medium/mature cheeses. Serve at a temperature of approximately 16-18 C (61-64 F). Open the bottle at least 1 hour before serving.
Buglioni Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC l’Imperfetto — 2016 – James Suckling – 92 Points
Here's a very beautiful Valpolicella showing fresh lavender and violets, as well as dried herbs. Vibrant and mineral on the medium-bodied palate with citrusy undertones throughout. Drink now.