Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC l’Imperfetto – 2015
- Size: 23 hectares (57 acres)
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level
- Exposure: Eastern
- Density: 3,000 vines/hectare (7,413 vines/acre)
- Training: Double Pergola, 18 buds per vine, green cover of rows
The climatic conditions were very beneficial for the vine, fostering the quality of the grapes. Rather mild temperatures at the start of winter ended with lots of rain towards the end of May. July and August were exceptionally dry this year compared to the last 20 years’ average, which helped accelerate the flowering process. The combination of light rain episodes and warm temperatures allowed the grapes to ripen nicely until harvest. The harvest took place in idyllic conditions without rain and during cool temperatures.
- Harvest Date(s): Late-September
- Yields: 30 hl/ha (3 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed in mid-January. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 28 C (82 F). The wine was aged 6-8 months in Slavonian oak casks (20% new, 80% used) and further matured for 6 months in bottle before being released.
Deep ruby-red in color. Distinct and elegant aromas of ripe red fruit and black cherry, with scents of spices and vanilla. Round in the mouth, velvety and harmonic. This wine pairs well with tasty pasta and rice dishes. It is excellent with chargrilled or roasted beef, lamb and medium/mature cheeses. Serve at approximately 18 C (65 F). Open at least one hour before serving.
- Varietal Composition: 50% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 25% Rondinella, 5% Croatina
- Alcohol: 13.3%
- TA: 5.2g/L
- p H: 3.4
- RS: 2.0g/L