Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC – 2014
- Size: 23 hectares (57 acres)
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level
- Exposure: Eastern
- Density: 3,000 vines/hectare (7,413 vines/acre)
- Training: Double Pergola, 18 buds per vine, green cover of rows
The growing trend slowed by a return of slightly cold weather during April and May. The summer continued with high temperatures and very poor rainfall, exceeded thanks to irrigation rescue. Lower temperatures and less rain in late August restored the equilibrium of the vines. Cooler evening temperatures allowed optimal ripening.
- Harvest Date(s): Mid-September
- Yields: 30 hl/ha (3 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed in mid-January. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 28 C (82 F). The wine was aged 6-8 months in Slavonian oak casks (20% new, 80% used) and further matured for 6 months in bottle before being released.
- Bottled: Bottling took place June 28, 2016.
- Varietal Composition: 50% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 25% Rondinella, 5% Oseleta
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.5g/L
- p H: 3.4
- RS: 2.7g/L
Deep ruby-red in color. Distinct and elegant aromas of ripe red fruit and black cherry, with scents of spices and vanilla. Round in the mouth, velvety and harmonic. This wine pairs well with tasty pasta and rice dishes. It is excellent with chargrilled or roasted beef, lamb and medium/mature cheeses. Serve at approximately 18 C (65 F). Open at least one hour before serving.