Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2015
Scipio (skeep-e-oh) was a famous Roman military general and statesman who defeated Hannibal at the final battle of the Second Punic War in 202 BC.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The 2015 growing season was a warm vintage, with good polyphenolic ripening, producing full body wines with lot of extraction and ripe aromas.
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 60-gallon French oak (40% new)
The nose seduces with complex aromas of fruit and spicy notes. Its exquisite fi nesse and elegance combined with the complex structure make it a wine with a rare character, a meditation wine.
- Alcohol: 15%
- TA: 4.99 g/L
- p H: 3.59
- RS: .40 g/L