Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2010
Scipio (skeep-e-oh) was a famous Roman military general and statesman who defeated Hannibal at the final battle of the Second Punic War in 202 BC.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
A warm summer led to good development in the vineyards. Despite rain at the end of harvest, the vineyards yielded excellently ripened fruit.
- Harvest Date(s): October 15-20
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 60-gallon French oak (40% new)
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Production (in cases): 700 cases
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Cases Imported: 350
- Alcohol: 14.5%
The different lots of Cabernet Franc that went into the 2010 Scipio were vinified separately, resulting in a unique wine that seduces with its fruity aromas and spicy notes. This is complex wine of concentration, balance and finesse.
Aging Potential: 25-30 years
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2010 – 91 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Made entirely from Cabernet Franc, this opens with aromas of blueberry, cedar and a whiff of rosemary. The juicy polished palate offers red currant, raspberry and Mediterranean herb. It closes on a vanilla note. "
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2010 – 91 points – jamessuckling.com
“A soft and velvety red with meat and spice character. Full body, fresh acidity and a savory finish…”
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2010 – 90 points, Year’s Best Tuscan Reds – Wine & Spirits
"... exhibits flavors of toasted nuts, vanilla and sweet spice from two years spent in French oak barriques. An earthy note of loamy soil accents juicy blackberry and plum flavors, with a wisp of tobacco on the warm and rich finish. …”
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2010 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
“This is really singing today, with effusive aromas of cassis, leather, black pepper and vanilla. A mineral component enters on the palate, with a firm backbone of tannins. Stays long and fresh on the lingering aftertaste.”