Rosso di Montalcino DOC – 2018
- Grape Source: Val di Suga vineyards in Montalcino's three historic vineyards (40% from Vigna del Lago, 30% from Poggio al Granchio and 30% from Vigna Spuntali)
- Appellation: Rosso do Montalcino DOC
- Size: 7 ha (17 acres)
- Vine Age: 12 years
- Soil: Clay, marl and sand
- Elevation: 270–450 meters (886–1476 feet) above sea level
- Orientation: Vineyards are located on the northern, southeastern, and southwestern slopes of Montalcino
- Density: 5,050 vines/acre (7,143 vines/hectare)
- Training: Spurred cordon
High temperatures at the end of March allowed for a normal bud-break and optimal vegetative development. Soils had water available from heavy winter and early spring rainfall. This was important to support a dry and warm June. Veraison began in the second half of July, slightly delayed from the usual. Grapes were harvested beginning the last week of September. A slightly higher than average berry weight developed this more refined, fragrant, less concentrated and less structured wine. Good vintage for early drinking.
Fermentation and maceration take place at a controlled temperature of 25˚–30˚C (77˚–86˚F) in 150hl stainless-steel for 15 days
- Aging: 6 months in Slavonian oak followed by 3 months in bottle
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.2g/L
- p H: 3.43
This vintage shows a bright, ruby red color. Lively, fresh fruit notes of cherry and red currants mixed with sweet spices. Full-bodied and soft with ripe fruit flavors and a long finish. A versatile wine that pairs well with light fare, white meats and heavy pastas.
Val di Suga Rosso di Montalcino DOC – 2018 – The Wine Advocate – 90+
The Val di Suga 2018 Rosso di Montalcino is a vibrant and fun red to pull out for your next veal or vegetarian lasagna. The wine is teeming with bright berry fruit with wild raspberry and cherry. Showing balanced acidity and a snappy, lean-bodied style, this is textbook Rosso. There is a note of candied cherry and sweet spice on the close. This vintage marks significant improvements since I last visited this wine. Some 60,000 bottles were produced and you get good value.