Rosé, IGP Vaucluse – 2018
‘Chêne Bleu’ means blue oak tree which forms the centerpiece of the label and which stands guard over the vines in real life (a centuries old oak tree that died during a drought and has now been painted with Bordeaux Mixture and sculpted into a beautiful shape. The picture on the label surrounding it is filled with many of the elements that make the wine and the project unique.
Embedded in the drawing are dozens of references to what defines Chêne Bleu, taking into account the property’s history, its terroir, the cast of characters, values
- Vineyards: La Verriere
- Appellation: IGP Vaucluse (Indication Geographique Protégée Vaucluse)
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices
- Size: 30 hectares (74 acres) under cultivation
- Vine Age: Grenache noir, between 15 and 65 years old, North-West facing at 530m. Syrah, between 15 and 45 years old, South-West facing at 540m. Other varieties 8 years old.
- Soil: Argilo-limoneux (clay and limestone) soils, very stony
- Elevation: 530 meters (1,739 feet)
- Exposure: Northwest-facing slopes
- Density: 4,300 vines/hectare (1,740 vines/acre)
- Training: Double cordon de Royat, 6 shoots per cordon
- Fermentation: Direct press, skin contact at time of pressing for 1.5 hours; very cold fermentation for 5 weeks, 75% in stainless-steel tanks, 25% in French oak barrel
- Aging: 25% of the wine was aged for 3 months in French oak barrels; mix of new and one-year-old with light toast
- Filtration: Tangential
- Fining: With green pea powder
- Varietal Composition: Grenache noir (62%), Syrah (16%), Cinsault (5%), Mourvèdre (8%), Rolle (9%)
- Alcohol: 13.5
- TA: 3.3 g/l (as sulphuric), 5.6 g/l (as tartaric)
- p H: 3.4
- RS: 1.9 g/l
Appearance: Pale pink, clear with bright tints.
Nose: Rich and intense. Notes of raspberry and redcurrant mixed with touches of grapefruit and lime. Floral hints.
Palate: Balanced and fresh, both rich and elegant with a pleasant fruitiness
Finish: Long citrus notes.
Chêne Bleu Vaucluse Rosé – 2018 – Vinous – 93 Points
Shimmering orange-pink. Powerful, mineral-accented red berry, nectarine, orange zest and floral scents are complemented by a subtle garrigue element that gains strength as the wine opens up. Juicy and energetic on the palate, offering gently sweet strawberry, white peach and tangerine flavors supported by a spine of juicy acidity. Concentrated yet lithe in character, finishing with strong mineral thrust and resonating florality.