Rosé, IGP Vaucluse – 2016
‘Chêne Bleu’ means blue oak tree which forms the centerpiece of the label and whichstands guard over the vines in real life (a centuries old oak tree that died during a drought and has now been painted with Bordeaux Mixture and sculpted into a beautiful shape. The picture on the label surrounding it is filled with many of the elements that make the wine and the project unique.
Embedded in the drawing are dozens of references to what defines Chêne Bleu, taking into account the property’s history, its terroir, the cast of characters, values and philosophy.
- Vineyards: La Vierriere
- Appellation: IGP Vaucluse (Indication Geographique Protégée Vaucluse)
- Cultivation: Organic and biodynamic practices (not certified)
- Size: 30 hectares under cultivation (74 acres)
- Vine Age: 60 years
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: 540 meters (1,771 feet)
- Exposure: Northwest-facing slope
- Density: 4,300 vines/hectare (1,740 vines/acre)
- Training: Double-cordon de Royat, 6 shoots per cordon
The 2016 harvest endured a wet winter and rainy spring, but an arid summer. Although two big rainfalls caused some concern during the harvest months, the majority of September and October was mostly sunny and dry, which created perfect conditions for the rosé.
- Harvest Date(s): September 28 - October 24
- Yields: 27 hectoliters/hectare (2 tons/acre)
- Fermentation: Direct press, skin contact at time of pressing for 1.5 hours; cold fermentation, 75% in stainless steel, 25% in French oak barrels
- Barrel Aging: 25% of the wine was aged for 3 months in oak barrels; mix of old and new French oak from various coopers, primarily 228-liter (60-gallon) barrels with light toast
- Filtration: Tangential filtration
- Fining: Green pea powder
- Varietal Composition: 65% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 5% Cinsault
- Cases Imported: 1,000 cases
- Imported Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Appearance: Clear, pale rose pink
Nose: Strawberries and citrus with hints of jasmine blossom
Palate: Expressive summer fruits, fresh, full-bodied, crisp and long on the fi nish
Rosé, IGP Vaucluse – 2016 – 92 points – Jeb Dunnuck
"The finest Rosé yet from this estate, the 2016 Vaucluse Rosé sports a salmon/pink tinged color to go with clean, crisp, fabulously perfumed notes of orange rind, citrus and salty minerality. While this beauty has depth and texture, it has thrilling cut and purity on the palate as well. Count me as a fan and I’d be thrilled to drink bottles over the coming 6-7 months."
Rosé, IGP Vaucluse – 2016 – 90 points – Vinous
"Limpid orange. Mineral-accented red currant, raspberry and blood orange aromas show excellent clarity and pick up a suave candied lavender nuance as the wine opens up. Concentrated yet lithe on the palate, offering intense red berry and bitter orange pith flavors that pick up a spicy quality on the back half..."
Rosé, IGP Vaucluse – 2016 – 17 points – Jancis Robinson
"... On the palate it's bone dry but again full of fruit, deep and persistent and with just the merest hint of tannin to give structure alongside the bright acidity. Refreshing, serious and long. Could be drunk on its own or at the table. Perfect balance.”