Riesling, AOC Alsace – 2019
The Alsace region of France is known throughout the world for its lovely, dry white wines. Vineyards were first planted in this narrow valley during the height of the Roman Empire. Maison Pierre Sparr was established by the Sparr family in 1680 in the desirable Haut Rhin. Today quality remains Pierre Sparr’s primary focusand the winery consistently exceeds AOC guidelines.
- Vineyards: From Sigolsheim (Haut-Rhin) to Molsheim (Bas-Rhin)
- Appellation: Alsace Controlée
- Viticulture: No irrigation; trellised vines; hand-harvesting; sustainably-farmed; no chemical fertilizers or pesticides
- Composition: 100% Riesling
- Size: 6 hectares (15 acres)
- Vine Age: 30 years
- Soil: Granite, limestone, gneiss, chalky-clay
- Harvest Date(s): Early October
- Yields: 60 hectoliters per hectare (4.4 tons per acre)
Gentle whole cluster pressing, no skin contact, temperature controlled, no malolacti. Certified organic.
- Aging: Stainless-steel tanks
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 7.2 g/L
- RS: 2.8 g/L
This pale yellow Riesling opens slowly to reveal layers of lilac and orange peel, framed by wet stone and mineral character that adds dimension. On the palate, freshness and elegance dominate this bone-dry wine.
Pierre Sparr Riesling, AOC Alsace – 2019 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
A pure but subtle notion of freshly cut Golden Delicious suggests juiciness, creaminess and freshness in equal measure. The palate of this wine homes in on rounded ripeness on a smooth, gently textured, creamy palate. This wine is resonant but sinuous, concentrated and juicy with a lasting, apple-flavored finish.