Red Wine, Napa Valley – 2013
Double Eagle combines two passions of David Grieve and Vance Rose: It is the rarest of golf shots, and the 2013 Double Eagle Red Wine is the latest release of our evocative Bordeaux blend. We have traditionally produced three Bordeaux varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc) since our initial vintage in 2006 and have blended the best barrels of each varietal together to make our small quantities of Double Eagle. The Cabernet Sauvignon contributes strength, tannin and cedar; the Merlot contributes the lovely dusty plum; and the Cabernet Franc brings beautiful violets and lavender. This year, for the first time, we added a bit of Malbec to the blend for additional complexity.
2013 was the second warm vintage in a row and quite a wonderful growing season. We harvested each varietal a bit earlier than historical averages, and the fruit arrived at the winery in beautiful condition after one sort in the vineyard. With each varietal we sorted again at the winery, preceded to a cold soak and then native yeast fermentations. This, coupled with a few days of extended maceration post-fermentation gives the wine richness and the tannic structure to create a nice backbone for the wine.
- Harvest Date(s): CS: October 14, MR: October 19, CF & MB: October 22
- Yields: 3.35 tons/acre
- Brix: 23.9°
- Fermentation: Native yeast; 17-24 days; 2-6-day extended macerations and all-natural malolactic fermentations
- Barrel Aging: 19 months in French oak (68% new, 32% 1 -year-old)
The 2013 Double Eagle Red Wine displays expressive aromas of cedar, dusty plum, caramelized anise, cassis, cocoa and coffee. The wine has long lingering flavors of cocoa, anise, shiitake mushroom and lavender with a beautiful bright savory acidity at the finish. The structure is firm without being overbearing and that compliments the beautiful fruit flavors to create a wine of both power and finesse.
- Varietal Composition: 36% Cabernet Sauvignon (St. Helena AVA), 26% Merlot (Grieve Family Vineyard), 22% Cabernet Franc (St. Helena AVA), 16% Malbec, Napa Valley
- Production Case Pack: 1,224 cases (6/750ml)
- Alcohol: 14.4%
- p H: 3.6