Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2007
Only ten vintages of the Royal Tokaji Red Label have been produced since its premier release of the 1990 vintage. Since then, the Red Label has been made in 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007. This wine is a blend of carefully selected grapes from several of Royal Tokaji’s first and second growth vineyards.
- Appellation: Tokaj
- Vine Age: 20-30 years old
2007 started dry and mild with no frost. Spring continued to be dry and warm until the end of May, when there was plenty of rain. Flowering took place slowly in June amid cold, wet conditions; however, summer followed hot and dry with hardly any rain in August. Véraison was early, and subsequently an early harvest was expected, but because September was rainy, the sugar levels hardly increased in the first three weeks. Autumn was rainy and cold, with windy periods that would allow the berries to dry and sugar levels to rise.
The aszú berries that were harvested early were of good quality, but berries harvested later were of extremely high quality because the alternating days of rain and dry wind resulting in desirable botrytis.
- Barrel Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks
- Barrel Aging: 2.5 years in old Zemplén oak casks
- Bottled: May 26, 2010
- Varietal Composition: Primarily Furmint and Hárslevelü with a small percentage of Muscat
- Production (in cases): 20,063 cases
- Production Case Pack: 6/500ml
- Cases Imported: 5,520
- Imported Case Pack: 6/500ml
- Alcohol: 11.5%
- TA: 8.1g/L
- RS: 164.5g/L
Medium gold in appearance, with a fine, fresh bouquet of orange peel and flowers. On the palate it has an excellent balance, the sweetness being offset by fine acidity. There are flavors of tropical fruit and oranges with a great length. This is a perfect example of a five puttonyos wine.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve slightly chilled at 12 to 15 degrees Celsius (54 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit) in a small port glass or a glass of similar size. Tokaji Aszú wines are wonderful on their own as an apéritif or as a digestif, with cigars and petits fours. These wines also pair well with a wide variety of foods, including foie gras, fruit tarts, chocolate desserts, and blue and soft cheeses.
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2007 – The Everything Guide to Thanksgiving Wine – Liquor.com
“…every bite of apple pie, pumpkin pie…this wine plus that mash-up…life-changing. The Tokaji’s shimmering amber color gives way to a luscious wine, redolent of apricots and peaches, candied orange peel, honeyed and burnt spice notes—fireworks.”
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2007 – 10 sweet wines to pair with Halloween candy – MSNBC.com
"This royal elixir conjures up a cornucopia of fruits. Have some Starburst near by and find out which flavor is the ideal match."
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2007 – 92 points – Wine Enthusiast
"…bursts with characteristic honey, peach preserve and dried fig sweetness. A streak of citrusy acidity adds balance, while subtle hints of caramelized sugar and tea leaves add twists to the long, honey-kissed finish."
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2007 – 92 points – Wine Spectator
"Sweet, with luscious apricot, peach compote and golden raisin held up by a well of latent acidity that drives the spice, chalk and candied lemon zest notes on the long finish."