Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2014
Ravera is the name of the cru where the vineyard is located. This vineyard encircles the cellar, it is essentially the hillside vineyard surrounding the farm — the great, classic cru of Novello.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 5 hectares (12.35 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 1961 and 1970
- Soil: Limestone and clay, with presence of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southwest
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
The first part of the 2014 growing season was characterized by cool and humid weather that made vineyard management quite difficult and challenging. From the end of August through October, the weather turned sunny and dry, with cool nights and hot days, perfect conditions to achieve the best phenolic ripening on the Nebbiolo grapes. A very drastic and precise selection of the grapes was applied in order to achieve the highest quality and show the best expression of the Cru.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Aging: 2 years barrel-aging in large, used Slavonian oak, followed by 1 year in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia and Michet (sub-varieties of Nebbiolo)
- Production (in cases): 2,500 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 700 (6/750)
- Alcohol: 14.50%
- TA: 6.33 g/L
- p H: 3.5
- RS: < 1 g/L
The color is dark garnet red. The nose is elegant and complex with hints of small berries followed by rose petals, several balsamic notes, aromatic herbs and black tea leaves. On the palate it is fullbodied. The deep, velvety tannins are perfectly melted and the fresh acidity produces a very long and balanced aftertaste. The mouthfeel is like a symphony where all the instruments play in tune.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera – 2014 – Wine Spectator – 93 Points
Pure cherry and strawberry fruit graces this delicate Barolo. Elements of licorice, tar and mineral add complexity and there is adequate structure. Still, this should be approachable early for the light weight and balance. Best from 2021 through 2036.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera – 2014 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
Woodland berry, blue flower, forest floor, truffle and menthol aromas take center stage on this polished red. It's full bodied and inviting, offering Marasca cherry, pomegranate, white pepper and star anise set against fresh acidity and refined tannins. It's already almost approachable but will also offer years of pleasure.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera – 2014 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
The Ravera cru of Novello is quietly growing in prestige and consistency. It is becoming one of the latest additions to an elite list of grand cru sites in the Barolo appellation. That quality is demonstrated in a difficult vintage such as this. The
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera – 2014 – James Suckling – 95 Points
The fruit and depth of this wine is very pretty. With brightness and transparency. Plums, and cherries with dried flowers and spices. Medium to full body, bright fruit and acidity. A powerful finish. A fantastic 2014. Drink in 2020.