Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2011
Ravera is the name of the cru where the vineyard is located. This vineyard encircles the cellar, it is essentially the hillside vineyard surrounding the farm — the great, classic cru of Novello.
100% estate vineyards. From this vineyard we produce Barolo Ravera, Barolo Cascina Nuova, Barolo Bricco Pernice and Barolo Vigna Elena Riserva.
- Location: Top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 5 hectares (12.35 acres)
- Vine Age: 50-70 years
- Soil: Limestone and clay, with presence of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
Winter was cold with frequent snowfall, followed by a wet, cool spring, especially in the month of March. Temperatures from May to August were above-average — often exceeding 30 C (86 F) — but returned to normal in September. The grapes on the most exposed parts of the hill matured very differently than the grapes on the less-exposed parts of the hill.
- Harvest Date(s): September 24-29
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Barrel Aging: 2 years in large, used Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 1 year
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo (Lampia and Michet, sub-varieties of Nebbiolo)
- Production (in cases): 2,500 cases (6/750ml); 250 cases (1/1.5L)
- Cases Imported: 500 (6/750ml); 48 (1/1.5L)
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Brilliant garnet-red in color with orange highlights. Firm, elegant and potent on the nose, it has scents of Eurasian wild rose (Rosa canina), mint and tobacco, scents which meld in the course of time into spice, coffee, licorice, truffle, leather and minerals. A full-bodied, rounded bouquet of great structure and balance, redolent of plum jam and withered brambles. The persistent chocolaty finish is harmonious and enticing. Over the years, it gradually refines its characteristics to achieve classic elegance and composure.
Serving Suggestions: Goes well with braised meats, stewed game, roasts and mature cheeses such as pecorino and Parmigiano Reggiano. Serving temperature: 19 C (66 F).
Aging Potential: 30-plus years
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 95 points “Recommended Wines” – Wine Spectator
"A clean, focused style, showing balance, structure and complexity."
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 95 points, Personal Favorites – Wine Spectator
“Valter Fissore makes pure, balanced Barolos in a more traditional style, from the Nebbiolo parcels surrounding the winery. The Ravera MGA (Menzioni Geografiche Aggiuntive) excelled in 2011, and this is one of my top-scoring Barolos …”
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 91 points – Decanter
“The classic Cogno Ravera Barolo. Medium- to full-bodied, elegant tannins, good acidity and harmony. Typically stylish and fragrant; elegance wins over power.”
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 17.5 points – JancisRobinson.com
"... Mid crimson. Unusually gamey nose – rather appealing! Soft and sweet on the palate with very fine tannins on the end. Nicely integrated. Very refreshing."