Prile, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2015
The label represents the essence of the ancient coastal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosetto. The lake has slowly disappeared also due to the drainage of the 30s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent winemaking tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 total acres): Cabernet Sauvignon 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: Sand (80%), clay (15%), silt (5%) and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
Very warm and dry year. All phenological phases from bud break to ripeness occurred one week early compared to the previous vintages. The growing season experienced scarce rains and high temperatures, especially in July (July was the hottest month in the recorded history of the winery), and subjected vineyards to high hydric stress that was controlled by drip irrigation. Grapes at the time of harvest were healthy and perfectly ripe. The harvest began earlier than previous vintages.
- Harvest Date(s): August 31 Merlot, September 1 - 9 Cabernet Sauvignon, September 11 Sangiovese
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in 30 Hl casks of French oak
Color: Intense red ruby with purplish highlights.
Perfume: Intense fruity hits of plump, black cherries and wild blackberry jam. These perfumes are well mixed with sweet spices, aromas, and balsamic nuances.
Flavor: Juicy and powerful mouth with a thick texture and lush aftertaste, long and persistent.
- Varietal Composition: 40% Cabernet Sauvignon - 40% Sangiovese - 20% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.0 g/L
Prile, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2015 – 91 Points – James Suckling
"With its full, oaky nose and essence-like, sweet fruit, this warm and generous red has plenty of healthy tannins but finishes slightly sweet. With slightly less ripeness this would rate even higher. Drink now."