Pouilly-Fuissé – 2015
Domaines Leflaive cultivates 3.3 hectares in the commune of Solutré-Pouilly, of which 2.7 hectares are in the appellation Pouilly-Fuissé and the rest are in the lieux-dits of Pragne, Le Mont, Pommard, Duyre, Crays, Nanche and Charmont. Pouilly-Fuissé, the flagship region of the Mâconnais, is cordoned to the west by a flotilla of prow-shaped rocks, of which the Rock of Solutré is the most famous. (At the base of this cliff is a Stone Age archaeological site containing the skeletons of over 100,000 horses — which gives the name to the archaeologic era of the Solutrian.) The bowl at the foot of the Rock of Solutré is the heartland of the Pouilly-Fuissé appellation, with some of the best soilforming strata on which Chardonnay grows in all of Burgundy. Composed of fossiliferous marl and marly limestone, the area was under the shallow Jurassic sea millions of years ago.
- Appellation: Pouilly-Fuissé
- Viticulture: 100% biodynamic
- Size: 3.30 hectares (8.15 acres)
- Soil: Fossilized marls and marly limestone
- First Year of Production: 2012
2013 is the domaines’ first vintage bottled under the Pouilly-Fuissé appellation. Harvest is by hand into grape boxes, and the fruit is pressed in Verzé, then transported to Puligny for fermentation and aging at Domaine Leflaive.
- Harvest Date(s): September 27-October 1
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100%
- Aging: 12 months in oak casks, 20% new, then 6 to 7 months in small, stainless-steel tanks
- Filtration: Very light
- Fining: Homeopathic
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 640
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
Pouilly-Fuissé – 2015 – 90 points – Burghound
"A more elegant and slightly cooler nose combines notes of apple and pear with those of lemon rind and white flower. As one would reasonably expect, the mouth feel of the medium weight flavors is finer with a lovely texture to the lightly mineral-inflected finish. This is really quite good and worth considering."
Pouilly-Fuissé – 2015 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
"A toasty, opulent profile sets the stage for the peach, lemon tart, mineral and spice flavors in this harmonious, graceful white. All the elements are woven together by vibrant acidity, allowing the finish to linger..."