Pinot Noir, Ysabel, Sonoma Mountain – 2016
The Hyde de Villaine crest originated with the de la Guerra family of Spain and has graced every bottle of Hyde de Villaine since our inception in 2000. To celebrate the Hyde family’s Spanish heritage, our Pinot Noir from the Van der Kamp Vineyard dons the name of a family matriarch, Ysabel.
- Vineyard Owner: Mr. and Mrs. Aubert de Villaine Mr. and Mrs. Laurence W. Hyde Mr. and Mrs. Richard E. Hyde III
- Appellation: Sonoma Mountain
- Vine Age: 16 to 17 years
- Soil: Speckles loam and volcanic tuf
- Exposure: Southeastern hillside; 1,400 feet elevation above Kenwood
2016 started with a cold and wet winter, which gave the vines a well-deserved dormancy after the fast-paced growing 2015 season. Bud break occurred in mid-March and was followed by a dry and warm spring. This resulted in a healthy and vigorous canopy and ideal pollination.
Heavy fog in early August slowed down the maturation process and allowed for optimal phenolic development while retaining the freshness and natural acidity this vineyard is known for.
- Harvest Date(s): September 9
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in French oak; 25% new
- Bottled: March 22, 2017; unfined and unfiltered
A wine of elegance and purity, the 2016 Ysabel displays aromas of rose petal and graphite pencil dust accompanied by vine-ripened strawberry and brambly raspberry. A harmony of green olive and green tea leaf add a savory component. On the palate, subtle hints of dried thyme and forest floor are balanced by pure, fresh flavors of Bing cherry and warmed rhubarb pie. Silky tannins and elevated salinity carry through the palate leading to a lingering finish.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Noir
- Production (in cases): 230 cases (12/750ml)
- Alcohol: 13.8%