Pinot Noir, Ysabel, Sonoma Mountain – 2013
The crest on our HdV label traces back to the de la Guerra family of Spain and our family patriarch, Don José de la Guerra, who settled in California during the late eighteenth century. Simply put, he was an original Californio. In accordance with the celebration of our Spanish heritage, our inaugural Pinot Noir release dons the name of a family matriarch, Ysabel.
- Vineyards: Van der Kamp
- Cultivation: Lutte raisonnée since 1973
- Size: 3 acres
- Vine Age: 13-14 years
- Soil: Speckled loam with volcanic tuff over decomposed riverbed/streambed
- Elevation: 1,400 feet above Kenwood
- Exposure: Southeastern hillside
- Density: 1,130 vines/acre
The 2013 vintage started with a warm and dry spring, resulting in an advanced bud break. The conditions were near perfect at flowering and fruit set in late May. The summer conditions were mild, dry and steady, ideal for Pinot Noir ripening. Harvest came a few days shy of September with fruit showing freshness, focus and a profound sense of place.
- Harvest Date(s): September 2 and September 10
- Fermentation: Oak tank with 100% native yeast
- Malolactic: 100%
- Barrel Aging: 15 months in French oak (20% new)
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Fining: Unfined
- Production (in cases): 173 cases (9L)
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
Our 2013 Ysabel Pinot Noir displays a moderately intense ruby red color. This wine shows a purity of bright red fruit, drifting aromas of wild red cherries intermixed with elegant minerals and earthy notes of truffle and forest floor.
On the palate, the wine is racy and succulent with refined tannin and bright energy creating a wine that is harmonious and supple. Time in the glass brings complex layers of violet and earth undertones that lead to a gentle length. – Stéphane Vivier, Winemaker, HdV Wine
Pinot Noir, Ysabel, Sonoma Mountain – 2013 – 96 points – James Suckling
"The minerality of this wine is pretty crazy with gun powder, salt, white pepper, and blue fruits. Full body, firm and racy with an iron and raspberry undertones. So much character. Drink now."