Pinot Blanc, AOC Alsace – 2014
- Location: From Thann in the Haut-Rhin to Kintzheim in the Bas-Rhin (80.5 kilometers, or 50 miles, north to south); mostly flat vineyards
- Viticulture: No irrigation; trellised vines; hand-harvesting
- Size: 38 hectares (93.9 acres)
- Vine Age: 30 years
- Soil: Granite, limestone, gneiss, chalky-clay
- Harvest Date(s): Early to mid-September
- Yields: 75 hl/ha (5.6 tons/acre)
- Fermentation: Traditional, no skin contact, temperature controlled, no malolactic
- Aging: Stainless-steel tanks
- Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Blanc
- Alcohol: 12%
- TA: 3.25 g/L
- RS: 4.1 g/L
Softly light yellow with green reflections, this 2014 Pinot Blanc glitters in the glass, while fragrances play around the nose. Aromas reminiscent of farmer’s pears, aromatic mountain hay and lemon peel are followed by delicate fruit flourishes, exotic coriander and minerals. On the palate, again there are fruit flavors and a dynamic, ripe acidity that refreshes, while the firm minerality gives the right tension. The fine-balanced body is light, but after aeration, the wine does not lose its mineral-aromatic character. The dignified fruity final of this lovely Pinot Blanc suggests a second glass. Serve with aperitifs, vegetable tureen, mountain cheeses and fresh fish.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve with aperitifs, vegetable tureen, mountain cheeses and fresh fish.