NOI4, Bolgheri DOC – 2017
Noi4 (noy-kwah-tro) translates to “the four of us”. This is because it is composed by four
varieties and it was conceived by a team of four. We also like the idea of sharing the bottle
among four people.
- Grape Source: Estate managed vineyard located in the heart of the Bolgheri DOC.
- Location: Bolgheri, Tuscany
- Size: 1.5 hectares (3.7 acres)
- Vine Age: 26 years
- Soil: 40% sand, 30% clay, 30% silt
- Elevation: Sea level
- Density: 6,900 vines/hectare (2,810 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon and guyot
The 2017 vintage was met with very dry weather. Starting with a dry winter that lasted until the 9th of September, when there was a lot of concentrated rain. In June, shoots stopped growing due to the dryness. This caused worry that the vines would not ripen the grapes. Instead, the arrival of harvest saw obviously fewer grapes, but the leaf apparatus was intact. Grapes had higher concentration and the fruit had a perfect ripening of the skin.
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 3 - 4 days
- Barrel Aging: 14 months in French oak (50% new)
- Varietal Composition: 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- Optimum Drinking: 10 years
Very intense ruby garnet color with evident violet reflections, clean and wide nose with notes of blueberry, pepper, cocoa and licorice. Very harmonious taste with good structure and persistent with a pleasant finish with notes of jam.
Tenuta Sette Cieli NOI4, Bolgheri DOC — 2017 – Vinous – 93 Points
The 2017 Noi4 is a bold, exuberant wine that shows the natural intensity of the year in its racy, exotic personality. A rush of black fruit, espresso, licorice, leather and dark spice fleshes out in the glass. Today the tannins are a bit imposing. A year or two of bottle age and/or a healthy decant will help.