Nero D’Avola Vrucara Prephylloxera Sicilia DOC — 2015
Vrucara is the name of the cru from which the grapes hail. The name has its origins in a vineyard of which the land has always been called “Vrucara.” It takes this name due to the presence of vruca, a Sicilian word for a bush that grows spontaneously around the vineyard. This herb has aromas of menthol mixed with those of incense oil. Transferred into the old, unique vines, we notice this aroma in the wine.
- Vineyards: Vrucara
- Appellation: Sicilia DOC
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Viticulture: Certified Organic
- Vine Age: From prephylloxera vines, which we consider our “mother plants.” The vines in the Vrucara contain our unique and old genetic code of Nero d’Avola, guarded for centuries at Montoni. The first mention of these plants was in 1590 in the De Naturali Vinorum Historia.
- Soil: Clay and sand
- Orientation: East facing
- Exposure: 500 meters (1,640 feet) above the sea level
- Density: 2,600 vines per hectare (1,053 vines per acre)
- Training: Bush vines
The 2015 vintage was characterized by a very cold, snow-filled winter and a cool and rainy spring, compared with seasonal averages. The summer was marked with ample sunlight and heat during the daytime and very cool evenings, allowing the vines to mature steadily while keeping the acidity high. Light rains in early August were welcome after a dry June and July. The overall production was solid, with good quantities and high quality, marking the wine with balanced acidity, aromatics and delicate tannins. The Nero d’Avola Vrucara grapes were harvested in late October.
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers with a long maceration of 25 days on the skins. The pressing is made in an old wood press. Spontaneous malolactic fermentation takes place in cement.
- Aging: 45 months in cement, 6 months in barrels, 6 months in the bottle.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nero d'Avola
- Alcohol: 14%
A bright ruby red color, Vrucara is intense and persistent on the nose with earthy aromas, notes of red plum and dark berries, which are in harmony with notes of rose petal, vanilla, balsamic, eucalyptus and licorice. Soft and velvety on the palate, with a delicate acidity and well-balanced and soft tannins. Vrucara has a prolonged aromatic persistence on the finish.
Feudo Montoni Nero D’Avola Vrucara Prephylloxera Sicilia DOC — 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 94 Points
Tasted from magnum, the 2015 Sicilia Nero d'Avola Vrucara is a dark and penetrating wine with a chiseled and pungent side that delivers dried cherry and blackberry preserves. There is a point of ripeness, maybe even jammy cherry with lots of inky dark fruit. I knocked off a point or two compared to the previous edition because I am less a fan of that ripeness. You get cherry liqueur or cherry syrup sweetness on the close. However, this remains one of the benchmark bottles for Sicily's banner grape Nero d'Avola.
Feudo Montoni Nero D’Avola Vrucara Prephylloxera Sicilia DOC — 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
Made with organically farmed Nero d'Avola, this offers compelling aromas of mature dark-skinned berry, new leather and underbrush. The savory, structured palate delivers ripe black cherry, star anise and crushed mint set alongside lithe, polished tannin's and fresh acidity. Enjoy through 2025.