Nero D’Avola Vrucara Prephylloxera Sicilia DOC — 2014
Vrucara is the name of the cru from which the grapes hail. The name has its origins in a vineyard of which the land has always been called “Vrucara.” It takes this name due to the presence of vruca, a Sicilian word for a bush that grows spontaneously around the vineyard. This herb has aromas of menthol mixed with those of incense oil. Transferred into the old, unique vines, we notice this aroma in the wine.
- Vineyards: Vrucara
- Appellation: Sicilia DOC
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Viticulture: Certified Organic
- Vine Age: From prephylloxera vines, which we consider our “mother plants.” The vines in the Vrucara contain our unique and old genetic code of Nero d’Avola, guarded for centuries at Montoni. The first mention of these plants was in 1590 in the De Naturali Vinorum Historia.
- Soil: Clay and sand
- Orientation: East facing
- Exposure: 500 meters (1,640 feet) above the sea level
- Density: 2,600 vines per hectare (1,053 vines per acre)
- Training: Bush vines
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers with a long maceration of 25 days on the skins. The pressing is made in an old wood press. Spontaneous malolactic fermentation takes place in cement.
- Aging: 45 months in cement, 6 months in barrels, 6 months in the bottle.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nero d'Avola
- Alcohol: 14%
A ruby red color, Vrucara is intense and persistent on the nose with aromas of forest floor, notes of cherry in spirit and dried rose petal, which are in harmony with notes of vanilla, balsamic, eucalyptus, licorice and incense oil. Soft and velvety on the palate, with buttery notes, it is well structured with a prolonged aromatic persistence on the finish. Vrucara has soft tannins and is well-balanced.
Feudo Montoni Nero D’Avola Vrucara Prephylloxera Sicilia DOC – 2014 – The Wine Advocate – 96 Points
Fabio Sireci farms one of the most beautiful vineyard spots in Italy that overlooks an infinite expanse of vines and shifting waves of grain over softly rolling hills in inland Sicily. On a cloudy day, you can watch the magnificent peek-a-boo of brilliant sunbeams shine over the landscape as if you were in front of a life-sized movie screen. Those beautiful images always come to mind when I drink this wine. Tasted from magnum, the 2014 Sicilia Ne