Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC – 2017
This wine is dedicated to Valter Fissore’s grandfather, Eugenio, who had a vineyard named Montegrilli in the Roero area of the Langhe.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards in the mid-hill region of Ravera, village of Novello, a selection from the Nebbiolo vineyards for Barolo
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: Average age from 10 - 15 years
- Soil: Limestone and clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
After several heavy snow falls in the winter time, the beginning of the spring was quite hot with some rain that helped the growing cycle to start earlier than usual. Towards the end of April, the sharp drop in temperatures recorded – especially overnight – caused some frost damage, but only at the bottom of the valleys and on cooler slopes, in fact any of our vineyards were effected. Starting from May, the weather was hot and dry, enhancing a perfectly even fruit set followed by a quick veraison. This dry conditions, even if considered extraordinary, did not effected negatively the growing cycle due the reserve of water from the winter snow. By the end of August and September, the cool nights really helped to develop perfect phenolic ripening. Harvest was about 7 to 10 days earlier than usual.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel fermenters with 7 - 10 days skin contact, temperature controlled, automatic pump-overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: No barrel aging; bottle aged for six months Bottled without filtration
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo
- Production (in cases): 830 (12/750ml)
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 160
- Alcohol: 14%
Ruby red in color with purple reflections. The bouquet offers a wide range of aromas primarily of blackberry, blueberry and plum. There are intense floral notes of rose and violet. The mouth is round and fresh, with soft and velvety tannins that give a very long and pleasant aftertaste. Very approachable.
Elvio Cogno Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC – 2017 – Wine & Spirits – 90 Points
This is impressively cool for a wine from the warm 2017 vintage. It opens with flavors of red cherry and plum that reveal, with exposure to air, deeper layers of dried apricot and currant. The ripe, chewy tannins hold it all in balance.
Elvio Cogno Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC — 2017 – Vinous – 91 Points
The 2017 Langhe Nebbiolo Montegrilli is a very pretty wine. The warm, dry vintage has give Cogno's Nebbiolo an extra kick of richness, but without robbing the wine of its personality. Sweet dried cherry, mint, tobacco, crushed flowers and anise all flesh out in an expansive, inviting Nebbiolo that will drink nicely for at least a number of years.