Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG Valdimaggio – 2015
During a selection of the most refined Sagrantino grapes according to specific lots, we discovered that the grapes that grow around the estate lake show special elegant tannins. The vineyard enjoys a constant moisture from the lake. This allows a balanced and slow maturation of the tannins.
- Appellation: Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG
- Size: 2 hectares (4.94 acres)
- Vine Age: 40+ years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 350m (1,148 feet) above sea level with south exposure
- Exposure: South
- Density: 6000-7000 vines/Ha (2,428-2,832 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 2012
Very dry July and August with a good water reserve due to a solid rain during spring time. September and October in the average. Good vintage with a great freshness.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September – beginning of October
- Fermentation: 15 days in stainless-steel; indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% malolactic fermentation
- Barrel Fermentation: 760 days in French oak barriques; 8 months aging in bottle
- Filtration: Yes
- Fining: No
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sagrantino Cru Vigna Del Lago
- Production (in cases): 1,000
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 15%
- Optimum Drinking: 20 years
Aroma: delicate bouquet of red fruit and cherry jam, gentle reminders of sweet spices, refined graphite notes. Taste: great freshness balanced by soft tannins.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG Valdimaggio – 2015 – James Suckling – 92 Points
The plush elderberries and hints of peperoncino and balsamic work rather well with the dried cedar and dark chocolate. Full-bodied and nicely indented in furrows of chewy tannins revealing dark fruit and detailed acidity. Drink now.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG Valdimaggio – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
Aromas of blueberry brandy, underbrush, dark spice and eucalyptus take shape in the glass. On the tightly knit, brawny palate, assertive, close-grained tannins support dried black cherry, licorice and clove alongside the heat of evident alcohol.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG Valdimaggio – 2015 – Wine Spectator – 93 Points
Though tightly knit and well-defined by sculpted tannins, this fresh red shows overall elegance, featuring a lovely, fragrant range of plumped cherry and strawberry fruit, with star anise, graphite and cardamom notes, ashy smoke accents and hints of dried mint and marjoram. Creamy finish. Drink now through 2030.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG Valdimaggio – 2015 – Wine & Spirits – 93 Points
From 4.9 acres of 40-year-old vines that surround the winery, this is impressively ripe and concentrated. A two-year spell in French oak barriques added notes of clove, dark chocolate and baking spice to its blackberry and plum fruit. Notes of tobacco and fresh loam balance the rich flavors, though the gun-metal tannis call for several years of cellaring.