Montefalco Rosso Riserva – 2015
Embodies the bolder spirit of its little brother Montefalco Rosso, with a similar composition of Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot. The special vineyard sites and location for this wine rival textural and body characteristics of even the best Brunello di Montalcino.
- Appellation: Montefalco DOC
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet)
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1993
- Harvest Date(s): Very dry July and August with a good water reserve due to a solid rain during spring time. September and October in the average. Good vintage with a great freshness.
- Aging: 20 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.68g/L
- p H: 3.49
- RS: <1 g/L
Bouquet of wild cherries preserved in spirits, chocolate, violets, vanilla and exotic spices. Full bodied and round, perfectly balanced with vibrant, velvety tannins.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso Riserva – 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 93+ Points
This wine was not produced in the 2014 vintage, and fruit from that year went into the entry-level Montefalco Rosso instead. However, the 2015 Montefalco Rosso Riserva is a generous and radiant wine that offers accessible tones of black fruit, cherry and savory spice. The blend sees a large element of Sangiovese, and that grape shines bright in this wine, thanks to its elegant tones of wild berry, rose and pressed violet.