Montefalco Rosso DOC – 2015
Montefalco Rosso embodies a great bond between the wine
and the area of Montefalco. It is produced from Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot, which epitomizes the character and identity championed by the
Arnaldo Caprai winery.
- Appellation: Montefalco Rosso DOC
- Size: 25 hectares
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level with eastern exposure
- Density: 5,500 vines/acre
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1971
Very dry July and August with a good water reserve due to a solid rain during spring time. September and Ocotber in the average. Good vintage with a great freshness.
- Harvest Date(s): Sangiovese: end of September Sagrantino: first week of October
- Fermentation: 15 days in stainless-steel; indigenous yeast; 100%malolactic fermentation
- Aging: 12 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Filtration: Yes
- Fining: No
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 5.2%
- p H: 3.68
- RS: Less than 1%
Sensationally intense, with notes of wild flowers, violet and red berry jam. Full bodied, rich, dry with a long finish and delicate hint of spice.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso – 2015 – Wine Advocate – 90 Points
I really like the 2015 Montefalco Rosso and am happy to recommend this attractive value wine. It shows dark fruit and spice with a supple and round style. There is not too much dimension here, but the wine is upfront and immediate instead. I make roasted chicken according to an old family recipe with roasted garlic and potatoes, and this is exactly the kind of wine I'd want to pair with that dish. Some 180,000 bottles are made.
Montefalco Rosso – 2015 – 92 points – James Suckling
“Ripe plums, dried lavender, basil, tar, licorice and hot stones show here on the nose. Medium to full body, fresh acidity, round yet tight tannins and a fruity finish.”
Montefalco Rosso – 2015