Merlot, Graf de La Tour, Collio DOC – 2012
- Appellation: Collio DOC
- Location: Hillside, estate single vineyard selection with south facing exposure
- Viticulture: Sustainable
- Vine Age: 25-30 years old
- Soil: Sandstone and marl locally knows as “ponca”
- Elevation: 262–427 feet above sea level
- Density: 2,024 vines/acre
- Training: Spurred cordon
An unusually hot and dry summer created optimal weather conditions. This gave way to to perfect quality in grape maturation up to the harvest date of October 10.
Perfectly ripened grapes are hand-harvested. The bunches are quickly moved to the cellar where grapes are destemmed and left to ferment and macerate for 20 days.
After racking, the wine is matured in 225L (60 gallon) French oak casks (new oak 50% and 50% used) for 24 months. It is then blended in stainless-steel vats for 5 months and finally matures for 12 months in the bottle.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Merlot
- Alcohol: 15%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
- p H: 3.54
- RS: 0.4 g/L
Intense ruby-red. Broad and mouth-filling on the palate with rich, soft tannins and great intensity of flavor; cherries, tobacco, chocolate and licorice.