Mas La Plana, DO Penedès – 2015
The first vintage of this wine dates back to 1970 in its beginnings the wines included small quantities of Tempranillo, the main variety was always Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Penedès, Mas La Plana
- Location: Alt Penedès, Catalunya
- Size: 29 ha/72 acres
- Vine Age: 1964-1979
- Soil: Deep, yellowish grey-brown alluvial soils that are well drained and have a moderate water holding capacity. Made up of interbedded layers of gravel, sand, and clay.
- Elevation: 225 m
- Orientation: SE
The 2015 vintage was a dry year, except for the late winter and the summer, which were both quite normal. The vegetative cycle was also dry, save for the months of June through August. The year experienced normal temperatures, with a slightly cooler-than-average growth season. In short, a dry year with little rainfall and average temperatures.
- Fermentation: 7 days in stainless steel under controlled temperature at 25-28°C
- Maceration: 15-25 days
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in French oak (85% new)
- Bottled: September of 2017
- Varietal Composition: Cabernet Sauvignon grown in the Teula, Torreta, La Plana, and Mina parcels of the Mas La Plana vineyard.
- Alcohol: 14.5% vol.
- TA: 5.57 g/L
- p H: 3.58
- RS: 0.4 g/L
Familia Torres Mas La Plana, DO Penedès – 2015 – Wine Spectator -93 Points
This red is firm, balanced and graceful. Currant and blackberry flavors mingle with smoke, loamy earth and mineral notes. The muscular tannins are well-integrated, the racy acidity lively. Restrained in style, but harmonious. Drink now through 2030.
Familia Torres Mas La Plana, DO Penedès – 2015- James Suckling -93 Points
A complex wine that has plenty of ripe red-plum and blueberry notes that lead to a palate that offers a chalky, modern and fresh array of ripe plums and berries with assertive, spicy oak. Drink or hold. – July 2019, James Suckling