Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2019
“Le Pas du Moine” is “the path of the monk,” a reference to the footpath leading to an ancient priory on the south-facing slope of Mount Sainte Victoire, the mountain known as the guardian of the spirits of Provence and defining the northern boundary of the appellation.
Château Gassier is situated 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) from Aix en Provence, at the foot of Mount Sainte Victoire. Its 40 hectares (98.84 acres) benefit from an ideal location in the heart of the Arc Valley, protected by Sainte-Victoire in the north, the Regagnas hills in the south and the Aurélien mountains to the east. The vineyards are at 330 meters (1,082 feet) with a southern exposure.
- Appellation: Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire AOP
- Viticulture: 100% organic
- Vine Age: Grenache planted in 1982 and 2000; Syrah in 1992 and 2003; and Cinsault in 2004
- Soil: Clay and limestone pebbles and sand caused by erosion of Mount Sainte Victoire
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon de Royat (simple and double pruning)
- Harvest Date(s): Night harvests
- Fermentation: At a low temperature of 14 C (57.2 F) and then 18 C (64.4 F) at the end of the fermentations
- Aging: In cement cuves for 2.5 to 3 months
- Filtration: Tangential filtration
- Fining: Bentonite fining
- Varietal Composition: Syrah 33% , Grenache 29% , Cinsaut 23%, Vermentino 12%, Ugni Blanc 3%
- Alcohol: 13%
Appearance: A limpid color with pronounced lychee reflections
Nose: A very intense nose revealing notes of mango, lychee, passion fruit as well as light notes of blackcurrant buds.
Palate: On the palate, a rich and powerful wine revealing aromas of exotic fruits, lychee, rambutan and nectarine. A complex wine with good length on the palate.
- Serving Suggestions: Le Pas du Moine blends perfectly with Mediterranean gastronomy and Asian dishes such as sushi and beef satay.
Château Gassier Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2019 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
This is a rich, raspberry-flavored wine, full of vibrant acidity and fruitiness. Freshness contrasts with the wine's ripeness and generous structure. Drink from late 2020.