Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2018
“Le Pas du Moine” is “the path of the monk,” a reference to the footpath leading to an ancient priory on the south-facing slope of Mount Sainte Victoire, the mountain known as the guardian of the spirits of Provence and defining the northern boundary of the appellation.
Château Gassier is situated 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) from Aix en Provence, at the foot of Mount Sainte Victoire. Its 40 hectares (98.84 acres) benefit from an ideal location in the heart of the Arc Valley, protected by Sainte-Victoire in the north, the Regagnas hills in the south and the Aurélien mountains to the east. The vineyards are at 330 meters (1,082 feet) with a southern exposure.
- Appellation: Côtes de Provence AOP
- Viticulture: 100% organic
- Vine Age: Grenache planted in 1982 and 2000; Syrah in 1992 and 2003; and Cinsault in 2004
- Soil: Clay and limestone pebbles and sand caused by erosion of Mount Sainte Victoire
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon de Royat (simple and double pruning)
- Harvest Date(s): Night harvests
- Fermentation: At a low temperature of 14 C (57.2 F) and then 18 C (64.4 F) at the end of the fermentations
- Aging: In cement cuves for 2.5 to 3 months
- Filtration: tangential filtration
- Fining: Bentonite fining
- Varietal Composition: 50% Grenache, 50% Syrah
- Alcohol: 13%
Appearance: Hints of pale peach
Nose: Notes of lychee, passion fruit, papaya and pomegranate
Palate: A beautiful length and a nice balance in mouth. Aromas of exotic fruits.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve chilled to 10-12 C (50-54 F) Amazing as an apéritif, this rosé also matches perfectly with sea bream tartar, grilled red mullets or ceviche.
Château Gassier Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2018 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
This is a rich, raspberry-flavored wine, full of vibrant acidity and fruitiness. Freshness contrasts with the wine's ripeness and generous structure. Drink from late 2020.
Château Gassier Le Pas du Moine Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire Rosé – 2018 – Vinous – 92 Points
Light bright orange. Pungent, mineral-tinged red and pit fruit and floral aromas are complemented by a subtle herbal nuance that gains strength as the wine opens up. Juicy and well-delineated on the palate, offering subtly sweet raspberry, tangerine and white peach flavors that spread out on the back half. Concentrated yet lithe in style, finishing with strong mineral and floral thrust.
Chateau Gassier Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2018 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
Produced from organically grown grapes, this crisply textured wine is grown in the cru vineyards of Mont Saint-Victoire. Its lively acidity is enhanced by the inclusion of some white grapes (Rolle and Ugni Blanc) in the blend. Drink now.