Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2017
“Le Pas du Moine” is “the path of the monk,” a reference to the footpath leading to an ancient priory on the south-facing slope of Mount Sainte Victoire, the mountain known as the guardian of the spirits of Provence and defining the northern boundary of the appellation.
- Vineyards: Château Gassier is situated 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) from Aix en Provence, at the foot of Mount Sainte Victoire. Its 40 hectares (98.84 acres) benefit from an ideal location in the heart of the Arc Valley, protected by Sainte-Victoire in the north, the Regagnas hills in the south and the Aurélien mountains to the east. The vineyards are at 330 meters (1,082 feet) with a southern exposure
- Appellation: Côtes de Provence AOP
- Viticulture: 100% organic
- Vine Age: Grenache planted in 1982 and 2000; Syrah in 1992 and 2003; and Cinsault in 2004
- Soil: Clay and limestone pebbles and sand caused by erosion of Mount Sainte Victoire
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon de Royat (simple and double pruning)
- Harvest Date(s): Night harvests
Maturation: At a low temperature of 14 C (57.2 F) and then 18 C (64.4 F) at the end of the fermentations
Pressing: Cold direct pressing, skin contact during filling of the press
- Fermentation: At a low temperature of 14 C (57.2 F) and then 18 C (64.4 F) at the end of the fermentations
- Filtration: tangential filtration
- Fining: Bentonite fining
Clear rosé with peach reflection; intense nose playing with blackcurrant, blackcurrant buds and lemon notes. Citrus aromas on the palate that end on grapefruit. A great structure, length and acidity
- Serving Suggestions: Serve chilled to 10-12 C (50-54 F) Amazing as an apéritif, this rosé also matches perfectly with Mediterranean gastronomy, such as ratatouille, and Asian cuisine, such as sushi, spring rolls or stir-fried beef
- Varietal Composition: 35% Syrah, 35% Grenache, 30% Cinsault
- Alcohol: 13%
Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2017 – 91 points – Wine Advocate
“The 2017 Cotes de Provence Sainte Victoire Rose le Pas du Moine is a much bigger, richer wine than the winery's Esprit Gassier. Passion fruit aromas lead off on the nose, followed by hints of guava and pink grapefruit."
Le Pas du Moine, Côtes de Provence Sainte-Victoire – 2017 – 91 points – Vinous
Pale peach skin. Intensely perfumed, mineral-accented strawberry, nectarine and orange zest scents and a hint of lavender. Silky, seamless and precise on the palate, offering incisive red berry and citrus fruit flavors and an exotic touch of honey.