Le Debut Chardonnay, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, Napa Valley – 2016
Le Début is a young vine, single block Calera project started in 2010 that was designed to express the unique character of the vine and site. With no new oak or additions used in winemaking, the wine is truly an unadulterated expression of site.
- Vineyards: Hyde Vineyard, at the eastern edge of Los Carneros District
- Appellation: Los Carneros, Napa Valley
- Size: 1.7 acres
- Vine Age: 6 years
- Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
- Exposure: South by southeast
2016 started with a cold and wet winter, which gave the vines a well-deserved dormancy, especially after the fast-paced growing season of 2015. Bud break occurred in mid-March and was followed by a dry and warm spring. This resulted in a healthy and vigorous canopy, as well as a bountiful crop.
Heavy fog in early August slowed the maturation process and allowed for additional phenolic development while retaining the freshness and natural acidity Hyde Vineyard is known for.
- Harvest Date(s): September 1, 2016
- Malolactic: Yes
- Aging: 11 months; 80% used French oak and 20% concrete egg
- Bottled: November 15, 2017
Our Le Début Chardonnay is sourced from our young vine block of Calera Chardonnay. The 2016 is bright and energetic with a distinctly mineral nose of crushed stone entwined with apple blossom, citrus zest and fresh almond. The palate is focused with flavors of ripe Bartlett pear, peach, lemon curd and the hallmark minerality of Hyde Vineyard.
- Production (in cases): 550 cases
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 13.9%