Inzolia dei Fornelli, Sicilia DOC – 2018
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Vine Age: 30 years old vines, grafted by hand onto wild plants
- Soil: Sandy/Clay
- Elevation: 500 meters (1,640 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: East facing
- Density: 4,400 vines per hectare (10,872 vines per acre)
- Training: Vertical trellis
Light rains persisted through spring and into early summer leaving organic farming a challenge with vineyard management and early phenolic development. The constant wind at Montoni helped dry the morning mist off the vines and the small, tightly wound berry clusters. Afternoon exposure to bright sunshine assisted the vines and fruit to mature beautifully over the growing months of summer and into early fall. In the end, the vintage proved to be at optimal balance of alcohol and acidity; producing wines that are fresh, fine and elegant.
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers, in contact with the skins for a quarter of the fermentation process.
- Aging: Sur lie with batonnage in cement containers for 6 months.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Inzolia
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- p H: 2.9 g/l
- RS: 2.4 g/l
Straw yellow in color with light green reflections. The nose has floral notes of Sicilian Spanish broom flowers and chamomile, with aromas of pear, yellow melon and honey. On the palate, the acidity is well-balanced and has a persistent freshness, with a long finish and unique mineral notes.
Feudo Montoni Sicilia Inzolia Fornelli – 2018 – The Wine Advocate – 90+ Points
This is my first taste of an Inzolia-based wine from Fabio Sireci. The 2018 Sicilia Inzolia Fornelli (made with organic fruit) offers aromas of white flower and lemon blossom with white peach and honeydew melon at the back. There is a subtle touch of latex or natural rubber that gives the wine a beautiful sense of gloss and shine. The finish is laced with honey-like flavors.
Feudo Montoni Fornelli Inzolia – 2018 – Wine Enthusiast – 90 Points
Aromas of white rose, citrus zest and honeydew take center stage in this crisp white. These tones follow over to the savory palate along with apricot, green melon, lemon rind and a mineral note. Bright acidity keeps it refreshing and balanced.