Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2012
Indaco (in-da-ko) is Italian for “indigo.” It is often the color of the sky at sunset at Tenuta Sette Cieli.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Cordon training and guyot
It was an interesting vintage. The summer months were very hot, yielding a small production. The grapes developed well and there was excellent ripeness and concentration in the fruit.
- Harvest Date(s): September 20 - October 20
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in 60-gallon French oak (35% new)
- Varietal Composition: 40% Malbec, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot
- Cases Imported: 100
- Alcohol: 14%
Malbec, Cabernet and Merlot come together perfectly in this stimulating, complex and structured wine, better expressing the complex and rich terroir with spicy and red-fruit aromas. Freshness, structure, persistence — this is a wine that preserves unchanged traits of the original season and terroir, intensified by 16 months in barriques.
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2012 – 91 points – Wine & Spirits
"...It’s saturated with brambly purple fruit and infused with notes of vanilla and incense gained during 14 months in French oak barrels. A wave of cooling acidity sweeps through those rich fruit flavors..."
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2012 – 93 points – Wine Enthusiast
"...this opens with aromas of ripe blackberries, Mediterranean herbs and cedar. The firmly structured palate doles out layers of black currants, blackberries, white pepper and licorice alongside chewy tannins..."
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2012 – 91 points – Vinous
“… soft, supple and delicious, with the sweet red fruit of the Malbec front and center. Dark red cherry, plum, spice, French oak and mocha give the wine much of its forward, fruit-driven personality…”
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2012 – 91 points – jamessuckling.com
“There's brightness and focus to this balanced red with medium body, fine and integrated tannins and a fresh finish. Very fine…”