Il Bugiardo Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC Ripasso – 2016
“If this is not Amarone, then it is a lying wine!” This was the exclamation of an experienced sommelier, when he tasted our first Ripasso wine in 2000, an incident which gave birth to the name of our wine, “Il Bugiardo,” or “the liar.”
- Size: 23 hectares (56.8 acres)
- Vine Age: 11 years
- Soil: Dark, clayey and fertile with a high content of gravel, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: 200 meters (656 feet)
- Orientation: North to south
- Exposure: South
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot, 8 buds/vine, green cover crop between rows
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
Crushing and pressing of de-stemmed grapes
Fermentation at a controlled temperature of 28°C. The must obtained from freshly vinified grapes in September is re-passed in the Amarone marc in January, following the traditional “ripasso” technique, and undergoes a second fermentation. The grapes left to wither are vinified in November and macerated in contact with the skins for 20 days. The two wines —ripasso, and the wine obtained from withered grapes—are then assembled together.
- Fermentation: Malolactic
- Aging: The wine is aged in oak tonneaux and vats for 12 months, then left to mature further 6 months in the bottle before sale
- Varietal Composition: 60% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 5% Croatina, 5% Oseleta
- Alcohol: 14.6%
- TA: 5.3g/L
- p H: 3.5
- RS: 3.0g/L
Dark ruby-red color. Intense and elegant aromas of ripe fruit and spices with hints of vanilla and tobacco. Warm, persistent flavors, velvety and harmonious. Serve at a temperature of approximately 16-18°C. Open the bottle at least 1 hour before serving.
Buglioni Il Bugiardo Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC Ripasso — 2016 – Wine Spectator – 90 Points
Aromatic notes of medicinal herbs and Asian five-spice lead the way in this taut, medium-bodied red, with flavors of dried black cherry and hot stone tightly knit to light, sinewy tannins
Buglioni Il Bugiardo Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC Ripasso – 2016 – Decanter – 91 Points
A sombre, brooding beast packed with dried fruits, savoury spice and a mineral stone edge balanced by a refined, elegant structure.
Buglioni Il Bugiardo Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC Ripasso — 2016 – James Suckling – 93 Points
This leads with an explosion of dark cherries and vanilla. Then come spices and earth. Dense and complex, but showing polish and form. Full-bodied, very structured and long on the finish. Drink from 2023.