Héloïse, Vin de Pays du Vaucluse – 2010
Héloïse and Abélard (our other flagship red wine) are one of history’s most celebrated couples, known for their intellectual brilliance, passionate love affair, eloquent letters and the tragedy that cruelly separated them. Sometimes referred to as “the Romeo and Juliet of France,” they were actually far more complex and accomplished individuals, and their love spanned many decades during the Middle Ages until the end of their lives, making it a symbol of enduring romantic love. The perfumed, intense but restrained character of this Syrah blend reminded us of Héloïse, whose intellect was matched by passion which, though bridled, never died.
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices
- Vine Age: Grenache - over 40 years old; Syrah - 30 years old
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: Grenache - 530 meters (1,738 feet); Syrah - 540 meters (1,771 feet)
- Exposure: Grenache - northwest facing; Syrah - southwest facing
- Fermentation: In wooden tanks, with skin maceration for 5 weeks; 100% malolactic
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in mix of old and new French oak from various coopers, primarily 228-liter (60-gallon) barrels with medium and medium-plus toast; plus 12 months in concrete tanks
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Fining: Unfined
- Bottle Aging: 2 years
- Varietal Composition: 63% Syrah, 35% Grenache, 2% Viognier
- Alcohol: 14%
Appearance: Deep garnet red
Nose: Concentrated and rich, with notes of sweet spice, liquorice, prunes and a hint of truffle
Palate: Full-bodied and round with silky tannins
Finish: Rich and long
- Serving Suggestions: Ideally suited to be enjoyed with lamb, red meat and roasted vegetables Decant for 2-3 hours and serve at room temperature.
Chêne Bleu Vin de Pays de Vaucluse “Héloïse” – 2010 – Wine Spectator – 90 Points
Mature, with gently mulled cherry, currant and plum fruit flavors infused with mocha, anise and juniper notes. The structure is fine-grained and well-integrated. Shy on vibrancy but still solid. Syrah, Grenache and Viognier. Drink now through 2020.
Héloïse, Vin de Pays du Vaucluse – 2010 – 95 Points – Jeb Dunnuck
"The Syrah-dominated 2010 IGP Vaucluse Heloise is a beauty that has an open, rounded, complex style. Offering lots of blackberries, spice, hints of pepper and forest floor, It's medium-bodied, silky, and elegant on the palate."