Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2019
Timpa is the name of the cru from which the grapes hail. The name has its origins in the Sicilian word, “timpa” meaning strong slope. In fact the vineyard climbs up a hill with a degree that exceeds 70%.
- Appellation: Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Viticulture: Certified Organic
- Vine Age: 30 years old vines, grafted by hand onto wild plants
- Soil: Sandy
- Elevation: 700 meters (2,297 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: East facing
- Density: 4,400 vines per hectare (1,781 vines per acre)
- Training: Vertical trellis
The 2019 vintage has excellent climate conditions for both the red and white varietals. The spring was abundant with persistent rainfall and was cool and consistently windy, which helped dry the morning mist and rain water off the vines. During the summer months,there was less rainfall and ample exposure to bright sunshine which assisted the fruit to mature. The nights were very cool, creating strong thermic excursions between day and night. The yields of Grillo (harvested in mid-September) were very abundant and the quality was optimal, creating a wine with remarkable aromatics.
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers, in contact with the skins for a quarter of the fermentation process.
- Aging: Sur lies with batonnage in cement containers for 6 months.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Grillo
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- p H: 2.8 g/l
- RS: 2.5 g/l
Straw yellow in color with green reflections. The nose has strong notes of white peach and loquat, with floral aromas of Sicilian Spanish broom, jasmine and almond flowers on the finish. On the palate, it is fresh, persistent and has a remarkable acidity that is well-balanced with the alcohol. It has a long and soft finish.
Feudo Montoni Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2019 – Wine Spectator – 89 Points
A zippy white, abundantly fragrant and bright, offering aromas and flavors of orange blossom, pink grapefruit granita and lemon thyme notes set on a lithe, linear frame. Drink now through 2023. 3,300 cases made, 1,450 cases imported.
Feudo Montoni Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2019 – Wine Enthusiast – 89 Points
Grapefruit, white rose and botanical herb aromas almost jump out of the glass. The aromas march on to the tangy palate along with ripe apricot and peach. Bright acidity keeps it crisp, while a hint of saline marks the close.