Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2017
Timpa is the name of the cru from which the grapes hail. The name has its origins in the Sicilian word, “timpa” meaning strong slope. In fact the vineyard climbs up a hill with a degree that exceeds 70%.
- Appellation: Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Viticulture: Certified Organic
- Composition: Sand
- Vine Age: 30 years old vines, grafted by hand onto wild plants
- Elevation: 700 meters (2,297 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: East facing
- Density: 4,400 vines per hectare (1,781 vines per acre)
- Training: Vertical trellis
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers, in contact with the skins for a quarter of the fermentation process.
- Aging: Sur lies with batonnage in cement containers for 6 months.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Grillo
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Straw yellow in color with green reflections. The nose has strong notes of yellow peach and apricot, with floral aromas of Sicilian Spanish broom and almond flowers on the finish. On the palate, it is fresh, persistent and has a remarkable acidity that is well-balanced with the alcohol. It has a long and soft finish.
Feudo Montoni Grillo della Timpa – 2017 – Vinous – 91 Points
Bright straw color. The aromas of peach and herbs recall those of the 2017 Catarratto and 2017 Inzolia from Feudo Montoni. By contrast, it is much richer and spicier on the palate than those two wines, with pungent flavors of melon, candied grapefruit peel and lychee. Closes with noteworthy salinity and vibrancy. Made from organically farmed grapes.