Gran Coronas, DO Penedès – 2015
Gran Coronas represents a monumental turning point in innovation for Familia Torres.
Miguel A. Torres went against regional norms, planting Cabernet Sauvignon in Penedès in
the 1960s, when most plantings were to local white varieties. Miguel A.’s recognition for
producing quality Cabernet Sauvignon brought Gran Coronas to become a benchmark wine
for the region. By blending Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo, followed by prolonged
oak aging, one of the family’s finest wines is created.
- DO Penedès
A year with a relatively dry vegetative cycle and sporadic rainfall in September. The winter was cold, followed by a mild spring and a very hot July. Red varieties saw lower yields, but reached excellent ripeness. Mild temperatures during the ripening period (August and September).
- Harvest Date(s): Cabernet Sauvignon: From September 21 Tempranillo: From September 14
- Fermentation: In stainless steel under controlled temperature for 7-8 days
- Maceration: 2 weeks maceration
- Barrel Aging: 12 months aging in French oak (30% new)
- Bottle Aging: 12 months minimum
- Varietal Composition: Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 4.9 g/L
- p H: 3.65
- RS: 0.5g/L
Dark cherry red color with garnet highlights. Intensely fruity (blueberries, cassis) with delicate spicy (black pepper) and balsamic notes. A balanced and nicely structured palate with ripe tannins well rounded by aging in excellent oak.