Gewurztraminer, Mambourg, AOC Alsace Grand Cru – 2016
Mount Sigolsheim, northwest of Colmar, was the high ground fought for in the battle of the “Colmar Pocket,” January 20 to February 9, 1945. On the summit is the French military necropolis commemorating this historic battle for one of the last regions occupied by German infantry. It took American and French forces three weeks in frigid temperatures to dislodge the German bridgehead. On the south-facing slope of this hill is the celebrated Grand Cru Mambourg. Records show that as early as the year 783, elegant wines of the present-day Mambourg were famous. The vineyard (61.85 hectares / 152.83 acres) enjoys optimum sunshine and scant rainfall. The soil here is lime-magnesium over calcareous and marl conglomerates that formed during the Tertiary period, 65 million to 1.6 million years ago.
- Appellation: AOC Alsace Grand Cru
- Location: Vosges foothill northeast of village of Sigolsheim; southern exposure
- Viticulture: No irrigation; trellised vines; hand-harvesting
- Size: 2.5 hectares (6.18 acres)
- Vine Age: 40 years
- Soil: Lime-magnesium over calcareous and marl conglomerates
Dates for the beginning of harvest for each AOC are set by decree, generally 100 days after the median date of flowering, at the time when the grapes display the best sugar-to-acid ratio. 2016 presented challenges with later harvest dates but ultimately delivered classic and elegant Alsatian wines.
- Harvest Date(s): Middle of November
- Yields: 50 hectoliters per hectare (3.7 tons per acre)
Traditional, temperature-controlled fermentation, no malolactic
- Aging: Stainless-steel tanks, wine on fine lees for 8 to 10 months
This glittering yellow wine delivers typical aromas of lychee, pepper and spices. On the palate, this harmonious Gewurztraminer features juicy, honeyed sweetness — Alsace Grand Cru wines have a higher minimum sugar content than basic Alsace wines delivering richness balanced with a subtle acidity. A spicy, very long finish completes this elegant wine.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Gewurztraminer
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 4.2 g/L
- RS: 29 g/L