Forcada, DO Penedès — 2016
Forcada, an ancestral varietal, was rediscovered by Famila Torres in the northwestern part of DO Penedès, in the foothills of the Roca Forcada Mountain, near Vall de Bianya. The variety does very well in the region’s clay soils. Grown at 450 meters, away from the sea’s influence, and surprising for its aromatic intensity and freshness. Forcada is an unique white grape, ripening at the end of the season and one of the last varieties of the Familia Torres harvest each year.
- DO Penedès
- Vine Age: Planted in 2014
- Soil: Deep, reddish calcareous clay soils that are moderately well drained and have a high water holding capacity, allowing white varieties to develop their full aromatic expression.
- Orientation: North
Generally speaking, temperatures and precipitation levels were within normal range in 2016 during both the vegetative cycle and the ripening period.
- Fermentation: Temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks
- Aging: 40% in new oak for 3 months, 40% in used oak for 3 months, 20% in concrete tanks for 3 months
- Varietal Composition: Forcada
- Alcohol: 13% vol.
- TA: 6.9g/L
- p H: 2.9
- RS: 1.5g/L
Familia Torres Forcada, DO Penedès — 2016 – The Wine Advocate – 92+ Points
The 2016 Forcada is a new white from Penedès, produced with a recovered grape variety that names the wine. The wine has 12.5% alcohol and a pH of 2.98 with 8.5 grams of tartaric acid—really cold-climate parameters, quite unusual in a zone like this. The full clusters were pressed and the juice fermented at low temperature in stainless steel and kept with the lees until bottling. They like the evolution in bottle, so they tend to bottle it earlier and give it some time in bottle before it's released...